Simple syrup is a liquefied form of sugar that is often used to sweeten cocktails, teas, coffees, and other cold beverages. A great way to sweeten beverages without any grainy sugar sitting at the bottom of the glass.
A traditional simple syrup is made with equal parts sugar to water. Perfect for a wide variety of cocktails and to sweeten iced coffees and teas in the summertime!
TELL ME ABOUT THIS RECIPE
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE SIMPLE SYRUP
Water: water is needed in equal parts to your sugar to make this homemade simple syrup.
OVERVIEW: HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE SYRUP
- Place ingredients in a small saucepan: start by using equal parts sugar and water
- Cook ingredients: over medium heat, and stir until your sugar has completely dissolved (approximately 5-10 minutes) and the liquid has thickened slightly. Try to avoid bringing your mixture to a boil.
- Cool your simple syrup: remove your simple syrup from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge: transfer your simple syrup to an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
how to store
Store simple syrup in an air-tight container. I prefer to use glass containers and often use either an old honey jar (it’s shaped like a bear and it makes me happy) or a mason jar.
drinks to sweeten with simple syrup
Simple syrup can be used to sweeten so many cocktails… here are a few of my favorites:
A few of my favorite mocktail recipes that are sweetened with classic sugar syrup include:
ICED Coffees & Teas
Sweetening your favorite cold coffees and teas with simple syrup ensures your beverage is free from grainy sugar. Some of my favorite iced, summertime coffees and teas include:
Love this recipe? You may also enjoy:
- 1 C water
- 1 C granulated sugar
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat
- Bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved and mixture has thickened (~5-10mins)*
- Transfer syrup to a heat-proof, air-tight storage container and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks