If you can’t decide between a side of fresh green beans or a caprese salad, this easy side dish recipe is just what you’ve been looking for! This easy Italian green bean salad is fresh, fun, and great paired with a variety of foods.
If you know me, or have been following along with me for a while, you know I love veggies. I like to incorporate them into as many meals as possible and am more likely to reach for a vegetable over a fruit for snacking. So when summer rolls around and most vegetables are at their peak, I’m in my happy place!
This green bean caprese salad is one of my family’s favorite vegetable side dishes. It is super easy to prepare, packed with all kinds of good-for-you ingredients, and pairs nicely with a wide variety of foods. I also love this green bean recipe because it reminds me of fun with family and friends! This dish is something we’ve had countless times up north during summer weekends at the lake.
Healthy side dishes are a must in my book. Supplement your next meal with this delicious green bean caprese salad, you won’t be disappointed!
TELL ME ABOUT GREEN BEAN CAPRESE SALAD
Level of difficulty: Easy. Minor chopping is required to prepare this side dish recipe. Then you need to cook your green beans, cool, and mix everything together.
Flavor: Classic caprese with a fun summer twist!
Time: It will take you about 40 minutes to make green bean caprese salad. This includes time to chop, cook, cool, and mix everything together.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR THIS HEALTHY SIDE DISH
Fresh Produce – Green Beans, Cherry Tomatoes, Basil: Using fresh veggies and herbs are keys to making the very best green bean caprese salad.
Fresh Mozzarella Cheese: Fresh mozzarella is a primary component to the classic caprese salad, so it is important in this dish too! I like to purchase a container of the ‘Mini Pearl’ or ‘Ciliegine’ sized mozzarella balls to use when making this healthy side dish recipe.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Olive oil adds great flavor and also creates a very light dressing for this dish.
Salt and Pepper: Salt is a flavor enhancer, and definitely helps to make your veggies pop in this summer side dish. Don’t forget to season to taste after you mix everything together.
Optional: balsamic vinegar or balsamic vinegar reduction for drizzling
SERVING SUGGESTIONS FOR GREEN BEAN CAPRESE SALAD
Green bean caprese salad is an excellent side dish for salmon! It is also one of our favorite side dishes for chicken. If you’re using fresh produce from your local farmers market or grocery store during the summertime, pair this green bean recipe with your favorite grilled protein and you will have yourself a fantastic summer dinner!
OVERVIEW: HOW TO MAKE GREEN BEAN CAPRESE SALAD
- Prep your vegetables: Wash, trim the ends, and chop the green beans into bite-sized pieces (~1” long – ish). Wash and cut your cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters. Wash and set your basil aside (you want to chiffonade, aka chop, your basil right before you serve it).
- Cook the green beans: In a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat, bring your green beans to a boil and cook until just fork tender (~12-15 minutes).
- Rinse and cool the green beans: Drain the green beans into a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside and allow to cool for at least 5-10 minutes (putting them in the fridge is also a great option).
- Toss all ingredients together: In a large serving bowl, toss together the cooled green beans, tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper. Taste, and add additional olive oil and/or seasoning if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store Leftovers: Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS Italian green bean salad
Use fresh produce. Green bean caprese salad is best made with fresh vegetables, herbs, and mozzarella.
Time saving tip: prep the rest of your items while the green beans cook! Multi-task by washing and chopping your tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella while the green beans are on the stove. This is a great way to save time while you prepare this easy side dish.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY:
- Mediterranean Cucumber Salad
- Cauliflower and Potato Mash
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Summer Tortellini Salad
Green Bean Caprese Salad
- 1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/4 C fresh basil, finely chopped
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella (I recommend 'mini pearl' mozzarella balls)
- 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt + more to taste
- Optional: pepper to taste
- Optional: balsamic vinegar or balsamic reduction for topping
- Prepare the green beans by rinsing, trimming the ends, and chopping into bite-sized pieces. In a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat, bring your green beans to a boil and cook until just fork tender (~12-15 minutes).
- While the green beans cook, wash and cut your cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters. Wash and set your basil aside (chiffonade, aka chop, your basil right before you serve it).
- When cooked, drain the green beans into a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside and allow to cool for at least 5-10 minutes (putting them in the fridge is also a great option).
- In a large serving bowl, toss together the cooled green beans, tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper. Taste, and add additional olive oil and/or seasoning if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.