Honey simple syrup is a refined sugar free way to add sweetness to a wide variety of cold beverages. This easy simple syrup recipe is ready in 10-minutes and can be stored in the fridge for several weeks for all of your sweetening needs!
Simple syrup is a liquefied form of sugar that is often used to sweeten cocktails, iced teas, iced coffees, and other cold beverages. Using a simple syrup is a great way to sweeten beverages with the risk of grainy sugar.
A traditional simple syrup is made with equal parts sugar to water. However, this honey simple syrup recipe takes your simple syrup game to a whole new level. Using a natural sweetener, honey, creates a refined sugar free simple syrup that is a true delight. I originally began using honey simple syrup for the Gold Rush Bourbon Cocktail (one of our favorite summer cocktail recipes!), but I also use it to sweeten iced coffees and teas in the summertime!
TELL ME ABOUT: HONEY SIMPLE SYRUP
Level of difficulty: Easy.
Flavor: Honey simple syrup tastes like…honey (but mixes into cold drinks much more easily).
Texture: The consistency of this simple syrup is somewhat thick (like a syrup…). The longer you cook your ingredients, the thicker it will be when cooled.
Time: From start-to-finish, it will take you approximately 10 minutes to make honey simple syrup. This includes prep and cooking time (not cooling time).
Honey: Honey is the star of this simple syrup! I recommend a standard clover honey, but discuss in more detail below in the ‘tips & tricks’ section.
Water: Water is needed in equal parts to your honey to make this homemade simple syrup.
OVERVIEW: HOW TO MAKE HONEY SIMPLE SYRUP
- Place ingredients in a small saucepan: Start by using equal parts honey and water
- Cook ingredients: Over medium heat, and stir until your honey has completely dissolved (approximately 5-10 minutes). Try to avoid bringing your mixture to a boil.
- Cool your simple syrup: Remove your honey simple syrup from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge: Transfer your simple syrup to an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
wHAT CAN i MAKE WITH hONEY sIMPLE sYRUP?
Honey simple syrup is a delicious and versatile natural sweetener, especially for cold drinks!
- Honey simple syrup is a key ingredient in this fun summer cocktail: the Gold Rush
- Other classic cocktails honey simple syrup would be great for: the Bees Knees, the Penicillin, and the Brown Derby
- This honey simple syrup is the perfect sweetener for this Mojito Mocktail recipe
- Honey simple syrup is also great to sweeten iced coffee and tea drinks, like homemade cold brew coffee. This Honey Almond Milk Cold Brew recipe is a great option!
What variety of honey should I use to make this honey simple syrup recipe? I recommend using a lighter variety of honey for your simple syrup. A local clover honey (one of the most popular and common varieties in the US) is a great option for making honey simple syrup. I have also used wildflower honey and tupelo honey to make honey simple syrup. These varieties brought a different, and enjoyable, flavor profile to this simple syrup recipe. If you have a favorite honey variety, give it a try!
How should I store my honey simple syrup? Any air-tight container will do. I prefer to use glass containers and often use either an old honey jar (it’s shaped like a bear and it makes me happy) or a mason jar.
Love this honey simple syrup recipe? You may also enjoy:
Honey Simple Syrup
- ½ C honey
- ½ C water
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring until the honey has completely dissolved (approximately 5-10 minutes). Try to avoid bringing your mixture to a boil
- Remove your honey simple syrup from the heat and allow it to cool
- Transfer your simple syrup to an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month
Leave a Reply