This pumpkin protein shake is my favorite fall-themed protein shake! Packed with your favorite pumpkin pie flavor, this easy protein shake is healthy and delicious.
A creamy pumpkin protein shake is great for pre- or post-workout, as a snack, or for a quick breakfast to go! Made with clean ingredients, this plant based protein shake is healthy and delicious.
Pumpkin protein shakes are also a great way to use up leftover pumpkin puree that you may have in your fridge from other fall pumpkin recipes! Waste not, want not, right?
Pumpkin pie lovers will LOVE this quick and easy pumpkin smoothie. A must-make this fall.
TELL ME ABOUT THIS PROTEIN SHAKE RECIPE
Time: It will take you less than 5 minutes to blend up this fun fall protein shake!
Canned Pumpkin Puree: Pumpkin is a nutrient-dense food, and using canned pure pumpkin puree as the base of your protein shake adds lots of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to your protein shake as well as the pumpkin flavor
Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk: Almond milk is low in calories and low in sugar, and adds a hint of vanilla to your pumpkin spice protein shake
Vanilla Protein Powder: Use a high quality whey protein or plant-based protein for your shake
Banana: Using fresh or frozen banana helps to thicken your protein shake, as well as adding in nutrients, antioxidants, and potassium
Pumpkin Pie Spice: Adds the flavors of the season to this fun fall shake
Ice: Adding in ice helps to make your pumpkin protein shake extra cold
OVERVIEW: HOW TO MAKE A PUMPKIN PIE PROTEIN SHAKE
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend.
- Pour into a glass or shaker cup and enjoy!
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO DRINK A PROTEIN SHAKE?
- Before or after exercise: Protein is important in rebuilding muscles after exercise and there is a lot of research on the topic of when to supplement with protein for the best results. Most research suggests that you can supplement with protein (like this awesome protein shake!) before, during, or after a workout. Do what works best for you!
- As a healthy, high protein snack: This pumpkin spice protein shake is a great low calorie snack to keep you full between meals! I like to throw one in my lunch bag for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up at work.
- As a quick, to-go breakfast: If you have a busy morning, blending up a protein shake is a great on the go breakfast option. It’s healthy, high in protein, and will get your day started on the right foot.
Is this a vegan protein shake recipe? If you select a vegan-friendly protein powder, this is a vegan protein shake!
Is there a substitute for the almond milk in this recipe? Yes, you have several options if unsweetened almond milk is not your thing.
- If you consume dairy, you can use any dairy milk in this recipe. 2% is a great option! If you do this, I would recommend adding a small splash of vanilla to your protein shake.
- If you are on a plant-based diet, you could select a different plant based milk substitute such as oat milk or soy milk. I do recommend selecting an unsweetened, vanilla variety.
What’s the best protein powder to use in this recipe? My personal favorite is Simply Tera’s Whey Protein because it has minimal ingredients (4 total!) and it tastes great. If you are looking to make this into a vegan snack recipe, select a plant-based protein powder like this one.
Can I make this protein shake ahead of time (e.g. the night before)? Making this the night before you want to enjoy it is a great option if you have a busy morning, or need to take your pumpkin pie protein shake to-go. If you choose to make this healthy pumpkin smoothie ahead of time, I would recommend skipping the ice as it tends to thin out your protein shake as it sits in the fridge (not a big deal, just a note). I’d also recommend placing your protein shake in a shaker cup so you can help re-mix your shake as it may settle in the fridge.
EQUIPMENT NEEDED TO MAKE THIS PUMPKIN PROTEIN SHAKE
A good quality blender. This is the blender we are currently using, and it has been working great! This is a simple, no-frills blender at a modest price point.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY:
- Cherry Berry Smoothies with Coconut Water
- Easy Mixed Fruit Smoothie with Spinach
- Chocolate Coffee Protein Shake
- Pumpkin Protein Muffins
Pumpkin Pie Protein Shake
- ½ C pumpkin puree
- 1 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk*
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder
- ½ medium banana
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice + more to top
- 1 C ice about 8 standard-sized ice cubes
- Place all ingredients into a blender, blend until smooth
- Pour into serving glass (or shaker cup), and top with a dash of pumpkin pie spice if desired