This raspberry bourbon smash recipe is the bourbon drinker’s answer to a classic mojito. Fresh raspberries, lemon, and mint blended with bourbon and little sweetener create the ultimate fruity and refreshing bourbon cocktail.
Have you been looking for new summer bourbon cocktails to make at home? This raspberry bourbon smash recipe is just what you need!
This style of drink is called a smash for a reason: by muddling the fruit and herbs it helps to extract the oils and juices to really infuse the flavors into your cocktail. This bourbon smash recipe is made with fresh raspberries, mint, and lemon, creating a light and refreshing cocktail that is perfect for a warm summer evening.
TELL ME ABOUT MAKING THIS BOURBON SMASH RECIPE
Level of difficulty: Easy. Minimal cutting required for the lemon, then all you need to do is muddle, shake, strain, and enjoy
Flavor: The raspberry, mint, and lemon all shine through in this drink, making this one of the best summer bourbon cocktails!
Time: It will take you approximately 5 minutes to mix up your raspberry bourbon smash
KEY INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RASPBERRY BOURBON SMASH RECIPE
Fresh Raspberries: the star of this whiskey smash recipe, raspberries add a wonderful sweetness to this drink as the juices infuse into the cocktail
Fresh Mint: fresh mint adds something really special to this bourbon mixed drink
Lemon: fresh lemon adds brightness and a little zing
Simple Syrup: a little bit of sweetness is added to create a smoother drink
Bourbon: use your favorite bourbon whiskey for this raspberry bourbon smash recipe
Club Soda: just enough to top your drink (1-2oz) and add a few bubbles
CASK STRENGTH BOURBON VS. REGULAR BOURBON
There are different types of bourbon available for purchase, so you may see a bottle labeled ‘cask strength’ or ‘barrel proof’. Cask strength bourbon is taken directly from the barrel to the bottling line, whereas a standard bourbon will have some water added in order to get it to the appropriate taste or ABV the distiller is looking for to sell it. To get to the point, cask strength or barrel proof whiskey is stronger. It’s often touted as having a deeper flavor profile.
OVERVIEW: HOW TO MAKE A RASPBERRY BOURBON SMASH
- Place raspberries, mint leaves, and lemon wedges in a shaker.
- Muddle until well-smashed.
- Add simple syrup, bourbon, and ice to the shaker and shake vigorously, until the outside of the shaker is very cold (approximately 15 seconds).
- Strain the contents of the shaker into a highball glass filled with ice. Top with club soda and optionally garnish your glass with additional mint, raspberries, and/or lemon wedges.
See a story series on this awesome bourbon cocktail here!
RECIPE VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Change up the citrus: try lime instead of the lemon.
- Try a different fresh herb: fresh basil is another fun option for summer cocktails
- Swap out the soda: instead of the club soda, try a splash of ginger beer, ginger ale, or flavored sparkling water of choice
- Use a different sweetener: if you do not have simple syrup, granulated sugar, agave syrup, or honey would also work. This honey simple syrup would also be good.
- Try a different fresh fruit: blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, and peaches are all great summer fruits to try.
- This blackberry bourbon smash is another favorite!
- If you love stone fruit, this peach bourbon smash is a must-try!
What is the best bourbon to use for this bourbon mixed drink? Since there are minimal ingredients in this cocktail, using a high-quality bourbon is important when making a raspberry bourbon smash. Three of my favorites are J.Henry & Sons, Makers Mark Cask Strength, and Basil Hayden’s Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. But the best bourbon for this summer bourbon drink recipe is a bourbon that you enjoy!
I don’t have bourbon. Can I substitute something else? In a pinch, most whiskeys will serve as a good substitute. The name ‘bourbon’ is short for ‘Bourbon whiskey’, and there are many other types of whisky too. I would recommend a smoother style of whiskey, like an Irish Whiskey or Blended Whiskey.
What other sweeteners could I use in this bourbon mixed drink? If you do not have a simple syrup prepared, you still have several options! You can use granulated sugar (start with ½-1 Tablespoon). You could also use a natural sweetener, like agave syrup or honey (start with 1 teaspoon and add more as desired) to create a refined sugar free cocktail.
Do I need to strain my drink? The short answer is no, but I highly recommend it. I personally find this bourbon smash recipe much more enjoyable when strained because of the seeds in the fresh raspberries. If you’d prefer to skip this step, you can muddle your ingredients directly in your glass and stir your drink instead of shaking it.
LOVE THIS BOURBON SMASH RECIPE? YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY:
Raspberry Bourbon Smash
- 6 raspberries
- 4-5 mint leaves
- 2-3 lemon wedges
- ½ oz simple syrup*
- 2 oz bourbon
- club soda to top
- In a shaker place raspberries, mint leaves, and lemon wedges.
- Muddle until well smashed.
- Add simple syrup, bourbon, and ice to the shaker and shake vigorously, until outside of shaker is very cold (approximately 15 seconds).
- Strain contents of shaker into a highball glass filled with ice. Top with club soda and optionally garnish your glass with additional mint, raspberries, and/or lemon wedges.
Leave a Reply