This boozy Christmas coffee is basically an adult peppermint mocha! Fun, festive, and extra merry with the addition of peppermint schnapps and Kahlua.
This warm winter coffee cocktail is cozy and fun. Perfect for those who love specialty Christmas coffee drinks, those who enjoy alcoholic coffee drinks, or anyone looking for a new winter coffee drinks to enjoy.
Love this adult peppermint mocha? This White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha will be up your alley too (and I won’t tell if you swap out the peppermint extract for peppermint schnapps…). You’d also enjoy this DIY Eggnog Latte (perhaps spiked with rum, bourbon, or brandy!), and this Gingerbread Coffee too!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
So darn cozy. The perfect drink to enjoy in your PJs. Sitting by the fire. Reading a good book… you get the idea!
Canned Whipped Cream: Squirt whipped topping is easy to use, and adds extra fun to this boozy coffee drink.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- Use espresso instead of coffee. I love brewing espresso at home in my moka pot! If you’d prefer to use espresso in this recipe, flip the coffee-to-milk ratio listed in the recipe card. Fill your glass about ¼ full with about ¼ full with hot, freshly brewed espresso (¼ C – ⅓ C of espresso will be more than enough), add in the booze, and then top with milk.
Step 1: Melt chocolate in the microwave in 20-second increments, stirring in between. Dip the rim of your mugs into the melted chocolate and shake on sprinkles.
Step 2: Divide the remaining chocolate and scoop it into the bottom of each mug.
Step 3: Fill each mug about ¾ full with hot coffee and stir to help melt and mix in the chocolate.
Step 4: Add 1oz peppermint schnapps and ½oz Kahlua to each mug and stir. Then top with milk.
Step 5: Top generously with whipped cream.
Step 6: Add additional sprinkles on top.
Want to enjoy this drink at night? Consider using decaf! If you’d like to enjoy a boozy Christmas coffee later in the day while snuggled in next to the fire, or gazing at the lights on your Christmas tree, consider using decaf coffee! Decaf is a great option for those who are affected by caffeine but love coffee and want to enjoy this cozy peppermint coffee recipe in the evening.
Using a French Press creates a rich cup of coffee, perfect for this boozy holiday coffee! Alternatively, you could use a standard Drip Coffee Maker. This would be great if you’re making several mugs of this when having friends or family over!
You can use any type of milk you like to make this winter coffee recipe.
Dairy milk: 2% or whole milk are both great options. If you’d like to make it extra decadent, use half-and-half!
Non-dairy milk: Oat milk or almond milk are both good alternatives to dairy milk. If you have another non-dairy milk preference, go for it!
According to Kahlua’s website, Kahlua has a shelf life of 4-years. They say it’s actually ok to enjoy longer but the coffee flavor tends to fade.
No, but it is recommended that it is stored in a cool, dry place. Also make sure the cap of your Kahlua is put on tightly in between enjoying this liqueur.
Assuming it is stored properly, peppermint liqueur has a long shelf life (think years). The flavor may degrade over time, though, so best to enjoy this winter coffee often to avoid that! To properly store schnapps, ensure your bottle is tightly closed and stored in a cool and dry area away from direct sunlight.
I recommend using the classic, long sprinkles (sometimes called jimmies) for your holiday coffee.
No, but adding the whipped topping to your boozy Christmas coffee definitely adds to the decadence of this drink (and gives you a surface for more sprinkles). However, it’s your holiday beverage, so enjoy it however you’d like!
Love This Recipe? You May Also Enjoy
Did you make this recipe? Tag @ourlovelanguageisfood on Instagram & Facebook. Leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating & comment below too! Be sure to subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get free recipes sent directly to your inbox!
Boozy Christmas Coffee
- 1-2 C strong brewed coffee*
- ¼ C high-quality chocolate semi-sweet or dark
- Christmas sprinkles for the rim & topping
- 2 oz peppermint schnapps divided
- 1 oz Kahlua divided
- Milk of choice I use 2% or whole dairy milk
- Canned whipped cream
- Brew coffee using your preferred method
- Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt in 20 second increments, stirring in between each 20-second cycle (this should take 2-3 cycles)
- Dip the rim of your mugs into the melted chocolate and shake on sprinkles. Divide the remaining chocolate and scoop it into the bottom of each mug. Set mugs aside
- Once the coffee is ready, fill each mug ¾ full with hot coffee and stir to help melt and mix in the chocolate
- Add 1oz peppermint schnapps and ½oz Kahlua to each mug and stir
- Top each mug with milk
- Add whipped cream and sprinkles on top of each drink